Plumb Library Summer Program 2022:
Read Beyond the Beaten Path
The 2022 MA statewide summer library program (SLP), “Read Beyond the Beaten Path”, begins at Plumb Library on June 24 and ends on August 6. This year’s theme combines outdoor adventures, skill development, and personal challenges! The Plumb program consists of a robust children’s program best for ages 3-12, and simpler programs for teens and adults. Registered participants are challenged to: read, attend special events, and complete activities (at home or at the library) as personal schedules permit. Weekly prizes can be earned. Logs are used to track progress. Completed logs must be turned in by August 6 to receive an invitation our finale ice cream party at Captain Bonney’s on August 13. Thanks to many sponsors, this program is free to participants. Here is a bulleted list of program information and instructions:
- Program begins June 24 and ends August 6.
- Registration ended on July 15. Registered participants are challenged to: read or be read to at least 30 minutes (in total) per day (audiobooks, magazines, graphics and e-books count!); attend special events; and do activities (at home or at the library).
- To actively participate in and complete the Plumb summer library program, registrants must track their reading, event attendance and activities completed on their log, and turn this log in by August 6.
- The children’s log uses stickers to track progress. The teen and adult logs have both a coloring and written record.
- Logging example: If within a day you read 30 minutes, went to a library program, and completed a BINGO (across, down or diagonal), you would put 3 stickers on a children’s log. For the adult and teen log, you would color in three tents if you were recording completed activities.
- Teens and adults can elect to just record books read. Five books read is considered a completed log.
- Activities to be completed at the library and special events are listed on the Event Calendar by date on the library website.
- Starting June 24, you can register for the special events you wish to attend by clicking the REGISTER box on each event.
- All special events will be held outdoors, weather permitting.
- Most special events have registration limits due to our parking lot and grounds size, and/or presenter requirements.
- Sharing your log with a librarian (once per week if you can!) helps us fill our Stick Together Mosaic to uncover a hidden picture. Every activity logged equals a color tile for the mosaic.
- This mosaic, along with participant names, will be displayed at Rochester Memorial School (RMS) in the fall.
- Completing certain library activities earns you small prizes. These activities include weekly scrambled words, library seek and finds, or completing a BINGO (across, down or diagonal).
- All logs must be turned in no later than August 6 to receive an invitation to our finale ice cream party at Captain Bonney’s on August 13.
- Plumb/RMS summer reading suggestions and resources can be found on both the RMS and Plumb websites.
Come in to complete your online registration at these kickoff events!
- June 24, 1:30-2:15 PM. (Also July 21, 6:00 PM): Summer Kickoff with Mr. Vinny’s Bubble Show. Celebrate the last day of school and the first day of Plumb’s summer program with Mr. Vinny the Bubble Guy! No registration required! There will be a surprise guest visiting us from 1:30-2:30 PM. Both Mr. Vinny Bubble Guy shows are supported in part by a grant from the Rochester Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Mass Cultural Council, a state agency.
- June 25, 10:00 – 11:00 AM. Storytime with Ms. Elsie and Blanka. Ms. Elsie and Blanka, a miniature therapy horse/unicorn, have a new story to share! After the story, children will be able to ask questions and pet Blanka. Registration is required and is limited to 15 children. This will be an outdoor event on the library grounds, weather permitting. Elsie is a high school student and an active 4H member who is donating her time. Please respect the registration limits.
- After the storytime, stay and play some lawn games, register for the summer program, “Beyond the Beaten Path”, and pick up program logs and instructions! The Lawn Games (shared by Scout Troop 31) will be available until 1:30 pm.
- For all other events, check the Event Calendar.
The Massachusetts Statewide Summer Library Program is funded by the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. Locally, the program is funded by the Friends of Plumb Library, the Rochester Lions Club, the Rochester Firefighters Association, the Rochester Cultural Council, Sperry Tents, Friends’ Marketplace at Plumb Corner, Brook Realty, and many community donors and volunteers,
RMS/Plumb Library Suggested Reading List:
FOR ORRJHS & ORRHS STUDENTS: Summer Reading lists will be found below.
ORRHS Students: 2022 Summer Reading List
ORRJHS Students: The links to the lists are below. They should be available through Sora. Here are details on how to set up an account: Sora