ALL ABOUT THE PLUMB LIBRARY
STAFF AND TRUSTEES
The library is run by a small but dedicated staff:
Gail Roberts, Library Director
Jennifer Frasier, Library Assistant for Circulation Services
Lisa Fuller, Library Assistant for Children's Services
Emily Audet, Library Page
The library is headed by an elected board of Library Trustees. The Trustees currently are:
Phoebe Butler, Chair
Dennis Desrosiers, Vice-Chair
Jay Williams, Secretary
Jen Kulak, Treasurer
In addition to the staff, the library is very fortunate to have a small group of energetic library volunteers who help with many important library projects. The library would not run without them, and the Trustees and staff are most appreciative of all their hard work.
The original library was established with a generous donation from Mrs. Charles Leonard in the late 1800s. Mr. & Mrs. Leonard resided at what is now known as Hiller Farm. There are portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard on display in the library. The library was housed in the Town Hall until the 1970's.
The present library was built in 1976. The building and grounds were donated to the town by Dorothy (Gibbs) Bray Plumb, in memory of her late husband, Joseph H. Plumb who died in 1970. Joseph Hudson Plumb was born in 1913 and prior to living in Rochester, Massachusetts he resided in the neighboring town of Marion, Massachusetts. He was the son of Joseph Plumb and Maybelle Houghton. He wrote at least one novel, entitled TRADING WEST, which was published in Boston by B. Humphries in 1940. It is a sea adventure story. Mr. Plumb was an avid boater, yachtsman, reader, and car collector. He and Dorothy Plumb lived in several of the prominent homes in Rochester. There are portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Plumb on display at the library, and Mr. Plumb's oversized, solid oak rocking chair is a favorite feature of the library's seating area.
Mrs. Plumb relied on the help of local builder Robert Sherman, who planned and designed the attractive, cape-style building to coordinate with the existing architecture on the town Common. Located next to the Congregational Church and adjacent to the Town Hall (or Town House), the building now stands as an important landmark in town.
The Gazebo was built in 1998 by Rochester resident David Santos. The Reading Garden was installed in 2008 in memory of Steven Santos. Peter Gross donated the leaf sculpture, and the marker for the Second Meetinghouse Step. If you wish to use the Reading Garden or Gazebo for an event, please reserve your date with the Library Director.
It is the mission of the Joseph H. Plumb Memorial Library to make available to the people of Rochester a center which provides information, entertainment, education, and enrichment. We seek to provide these services to all segments of the community, and to all age groups. Our collection will reflect the wants and needs of the whole community, and we will make available...materials in many formats and reflecting many points of view. The Trustees and staff are committed to intellectual freedom, and support the Library Bill of Rights.
Long Range Plan 2010 - 2015
Updated 6/14/2013 feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org Back to the Plumb Library